Sunday, January 20, 2008

Deep Freeze Relief

My new hobby is going to be cocktails. This is my journal of my adventures in intoxication.



Very cold and dark all the time. I think about drinking cocktails in warm rooms with a fireplace or on a tropical holiday. Can't have either location but I can have the cocktail. Thank goodness for portable pleasure, vacation in a bottle-alcohol. Bought Seagram's 7 to go with the 7-up available. First drink I could think of that sounds easy to make. Had it at weddings.

I grabbed a pint of Seagram's 7, 7-UP, a glass and ice. Filled the glass with ice and wondered if the 7-UP should be placed first or the Seagram's. Had one glass with Seagram's inserted first, it sat on the bottom and I didn't taste it until I got down there. Inserted the Seagram's on top of the 7-UP and it slowly sank to the bottom, a little better idea. Then I remembered that at weddings the drink gets both ingredients added at the same time, this idea worked even better. I wondered if those cocktail shakers would improve the mix even more but I don't have a shaker. Well three glasses of 7 & 7 made the evening more interesting.

This impulsive idea got me thinking about cocktails and wondering if I would enjoy the winter more if I dabbled in making them. I would need real bar glasses, a book, bar tools and different spirits. Well this idea calls for more investigation on the internet. I discovered online that Seagram's 7 doesn't appear in many (any?) cocktails besides 7 & 7. Need to look for some other drink to make maybe Rum and Coke. A little disappointed that the Seagram's didn't develop into further exploration of cocktails. Rum sounds promising.

No comments: